Coronavirus affects us all
As everyone is aware the coronavirus has upended the world in which we live as well as our recreation. As of this writing, the state of Oregon has not yet issued a state lockdown although there are rumors that one may come. Of those states that have issued lockdowns, no state has completely banned outdoor activities although most have requested that people maintain a 6 ft distance from one another to avoid spreading this disease. The Bend Bella Cyclists is committed to adhering to the health advisories to keep all of our members safe.
What the Bellas are doing
- The Bellas has cancelled the 2020 Spring Fling scheduled for April 9th.
- We are suspending the posting of rides or other meetings through the Bella Meetup.
- We are remaining optimistic and looking forward to the Spring riding season.
What we think
- Group rides are a risk. People are social animals. It’s hard to maintain the required 6 ft distance when you’re riding and chatting with your friends. For that reason we have suspended group rides.
- Riding and hiking and generally being outdoors is good for your health. We encourage everyone to get outside alone or with members of your own household on uncrowded trails. We are fortunate to live in an area with lots of open uncrowded spaces. Go exploring.
- Take time to get your bike maintenance done. Support your local bike shops. Some bike shops may be limiting customer contact. So call first. You may be able to drop your bike off for maintenance.
- Think and plan routes you’d like to do when the crisis is over. The Bellas has an extensive library of bike routes in the Ride with GPS Club account. https://ridewithgps.com/organizations/2891-bend-bella-cyclists/routes?
- Sign-up for Ride with GPS club account if you haven’t already. With the club account you get all the features of a premium account with your Bella membership. Moe has created this very simple tutorial to help you get online https://www.bendbellacyclists.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Ride-with-GPS-RWGPS-Club-Account-1-1.pdf
- Learn how to save a route to the club library. Another Moe tutorial: https://www.bendbellacyclists.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Saving-a-route-to-the-Club-RWGPS-Route-Library.pdf
Stay in touch!
People have different ways of maintaining contact. Some people read or post on social media. Others communicate by text. Some like to talk on the phone. Reach out. Keep in touch. If you haven’t heard from a friend in a while, send them a note through whatever medium works for you.